The Gentle Cycling Company.
Civilised cycling trips on the Great Taste Trail, for lovers of food, wine & beautiful
Come to us for bike hire and self-guided tours on the Great Taste Trail. And fall in love with our Nelson.
The Great Taste Trail
Take time and come cycling on the Great Taste Trail. Take a day – cycle through vineyards and taste the wine. And in between, stop for some fresh berries or a bag of apples. Take a few days – cycle to the Abel Tasman and soak up the sun and golden sand. And in between, stop to explore sleepy villages and take a ferry built for bikes. Take time. Cycle.
The important stuff:
- The Gentle Cycling Company is situated in Stoke, 8 km from Nelson City and 4km from Nelson Airport, providing easy access for cycling on the Great Taste Trail.
- We have been providing cycling trips on and around the Great Taste Trail since our launch in 2009.
- We provide bike hire, maps, itineraries, multi and single day packages and support.
- The Great Taste Trail is off-road. It is graded easy to intermediate, with a maximum elevation of 110 metres.
- The Great Taste Trail runs from Nelson city to the village of Wakefield (Rail Route) and to Kaiteriteri Beach (Coastal Route).
- Kaiteriteri is the gateway to the Abel Tasman National Park. We can include a park trip in any multi day cycling itinerary.
- The newest section of trail is a 1.4km section through the Belgrove Railway Tunnel. This section does not yet have an off-road connection to the Great Taste Trail.
Tasman’s Great Taste Trail is part of a network of Great Rides being developed throughout the country under the NZ Cycle Trails Project. The first section of Tasman’s Great Taste Trail opened in 2012. The final trail is due to be completed in 2019 and will be 175km long. For more information on the NZ Cycle Trail Project visit nzcycletrail.com or check our Great Taste Trail Master Map here.
Get in touch
We’re open 9am – 5pm from 1 September 2016 till 27 April 2017. We are open 7 days a week, apart from these exceptions: we are closed for Christmas 23 – 26 December 2016 and open for multi day rides but closed for single day rides on New Years Day, Good Friday & Anzac Day. Bookings are essential.